One day, I was on Facebook and many of my friends were discussing their children starting or returning to school. My first reaction was being thankful that I wasn't faced with that yet. Then, I realized our son would be 2 soon and we really only had about a year to make a final decision. That day, I started researching and requesting information on my options. When my husband got home from work that evening, I told him we needed to make a decision and we could discuss it the following weekend.
We were at the lake that weekend and I brought up the discussion.
ME: Are we sending the little guy to school or homeschooling (Private school is not an option, but that is another post)
DH: Are you up for homeschooling?
ME: Heck yes!!!
DH: Then we will homeschool.
We sighed together with relief. I think we both knew this would be the final call from the beginning. That afternoon, I dove in. I researched the laws, organizations, benefits, possible setbacks, and preschool curriculum. I am still not finished with my research, but we are actively homeschooling our very smart 2 year old.
Our top 10 reasons for homeschooling:
- No one is more committed to his success as a person than his parents
- There is too much politics in schools and not enough caring
- I don't want someone I do not know spending more time with my son than me
- I am lucky enough to have the luxury of being a stay-at-home mom, why not take that a step further and teach hi too.
- There is nothing I will not do for my son, what teacher can say that about their students
- I would rather him learn about an ecosystem in the woods behind our house than in a classroom.
- There is nothing a school can give him that I cannot. There are plenty of things I can give him that a school cannot.
- I am so sick of politicians threatening to remove art programs from schools. Education is not the place to cut back.
- Education is about more than is written in books. Education is about life.
- One on one education is better for the mind than 36 to one.
Note to teachers: I know a lot of you and you are amazing. You are the heart of the schools. I have had many teachers that made a huge difference in my life. I thank all of my previous teachers for helping to mold me into the person I am. Teachers are not the problem. If only teachers ran schools.